Important: On 21 October, the Irish Government stated that it cannot guarantee it will be able to provide temporary accommodation to all people fleeing the war in Ukraine by next week.

The Irish State has is currently accommodating 42,000 Ukrainians however, due to a serious housing crisis, it is struggling to source accommodation to house new arrivals. We understand that the Government aims to prioritise housing vulnerable people first, this should include women and minors. 

If you come to Ireland and the Government is not in a position to provide you with temporary accommodation, you will likely become street homeless for a period of time. Unless you are able to stay with family or friends. 

We will update this page with new information as the situation develops.

Last update: 23 October 

What about longer term accommodation?

Those who register under Temporary Protection are eligible for a housing support from the Government, this is called rent supplement. This should assist people to move out from temporary accommodation into an independent rental. Although it may be challenging to find longer term accommodation, due to the on-going housing crisis in Ireland. 

Due to the housing crisis and lack of accommodation in the private rental market, very few have been in a position to do this.  

What is Rent Supplement?

Rent Supplement is a means-tested payment for people living in private rented accommodation who cannot afford the cost of their rent. The amount of Rent Supplement you get depends on various factors – including your income, savings, earnings, household composition and the current local rent limits.  

You must have an agreement with the Landlord (e.g a lease) and the accommodation must be suited to your particular needs.   

You are not entitled to Rent Supplement if you, or your partner, are in full-time work (more than 29 hours a week) or in full-time education.  

Calculating Rent Supplement Payment:   

Rent Supplement is normally calculated to ensure that a person maintains an income equal to the Supplementary Welfare Allowance, after the rent is paid. The supplementary welfare allowance you are entitled to will vary depending on your family composition. For example, it is 206 euro for a single adult. For more information on supplementary welfare allowance please see here 

 You may also have to pay a small contribution towards your rent. In general, the standard weekly minimum contribution is €30 for a single adult household and €40 for coupled households. However it could be more depending on your circumstances.  

  The calculation of Rent Supplement Payment is complex and the Department of Social Protection will calculate your exact entitlement.  

  The total amount paid to your landlord should not be above the maximum rent limit set for your county or area (this provision can be waived in some circumstances). Please see the rent limits here  

  To give an example, if your family consists of 1 parent and 1 child, the rent limit in Dublin is €1,150 per month. This means that you could rent a home in Dublin which costs €1,150 per month, or less. The rent limits vary significantly from region to region, for example in Monaghan the rent limit for 1 parent and 1 child is €500. This is because rents are much lower in Monaghan than in Dublin.  

If the rent you wish to pay is higher than the maximum limit for your area, your rent supplement application might be rejected. However it is possible that the Department will agree to pay a higher amount in some cases, where necessary. This will decided on a case by case basis.  

Change in circumstances:   

 If your circumstances change while you are receiving rent supplement you may have your payment increased or reduced or you may no longer be eligible for it. You should notify your local DSP officer should your circumstances change while you are receiving rent supplement.   

Applying for Rent Supplement Payment:   

We suggest you contact your local Intreo centre for advice and information on rent supplement. Please find here the application form for Rent Supplement (pdf).  

 Part of the form will need to be filled in by your landlord or their agent. Your landlord will need to provide their PPS number. If your landlord does not wish to fill in the form, a separate form(SWA 3C) (pdf)is available.   

 You will need show proof of your identity, income and tenancy.   

You can decide if the payment goes to you as tenant or the property owner. The payment will be ‘backdated’ to the date of application.  

 It should be noted that Rent Supplement Payment will not cover the deposit required in order to rent a property. It may be possible, however, to make an application for an Exceptional Needs Payment’whereby you cannot cover the first month’s rent and deposit in advance. This is a one-time payment   

 A representative of the Department of Social Protection usually visits you to confirm your circumstances.  

 If you are not satisfied with a decision made in relation to Rent Supplement, you appeal the decision to the Social Welfare Appeals Office. You must appeal within 21 days of getting the decision.  

 The above is a brief overview of rent supplement, for further details please check the citizens information website or speak to your local Intreo office 


Resources and useful contacts:   


  1. Rent Supplement Information  
  2. Citizen’s Information Rent Supplement  
  3. Citizens Info Calculating Rent Supplement  
  4. Citizens Info Worksheet for Calculating Rent Supplement   


  • Citizens Information Phone Service -0818 07 4000(Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).  
  • INOU Information and Advocacy Helpline -01 - 856 0088(Monday - Thursday 9.30 am to 5.00 pm and Friday 9.30am to 4.00pm).  
  • Department of Social Protection – 01 704 3000, [email protected]  

UPDATED on October 21st